วันอาทิตย์ที่ 22 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2552

Yes.. MP Digital Silver Canon Camera 12.1 PowerShot SD970IS

For the money, the Rebel XS delivers.. **Revised 14 Feb 2009**

(4.5/5 stars)

This year I decided to finally get a digital SLR. The market is filled with excellent choices and early January saw a plunge in prices that has since receded, so I feel like I picked a good time to buy. The downside of having so many options, though, was trying to decide which one was right for me. Not being too familiar with dSLRs, I read lots of reviews and learned the terminology, and after a couple weeks finally decided on the Canon Rebel XS.

Based on what I was willing to pay (around $650 or less), I considered three other cameras before buying this one: The Canon Rebel XSi, the Nikon D60, and the Pentax K200D. I think Nikon has excellent offerings at the "enthusiast/semi pro" level (D80/D90 and D300, respectively) that are arguably superior to Canon's lineup, but I was disappointed by the D60 in general, mostly due to the lack of autofocus compatibility with older lenses. The main attraction of the Pentax is the high build quality with weather sealing, but Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver also sports a decent quality kit lens, a large viewfinder, and internal image stabilization. What concerned me about the K200D was the image quality, especially with JPEGs, as reported in a number of pro reviews. As is the case with many entering the dSLR world, image quality was my #1 consideration. Finally, a word about Live View, which many feel is a "feature of the month" that is perhaps less useful than the hype might suggest. I have personally found Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver to be a useful photographic tool in certain situations, and Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver is notably lacking on the Nikon and Pentax models that I considered.

So, left with the Canons, I considered what I might get with the XSi for the nearly $200 extra. As a beginner I simply wasn't convinced that the additional features on the XSi were worth the extra cash, the image quality the two cameras being basically equal. So I sprang for the XS, got the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens with the savings, and still had some cash left in my pocket. Generally I've been quite happy with my decision. There is a lot of talk about how camera makers "intentionally cripple" their entry-level models, but you're unlikely to notice this if it's your first dSLR. If you pay more for the next step up, you're arguably paying a premium for new technology that you won't even notice or appreciate that much, and will either be commonplace or obsolete in just a couple years. If I had spent more I think I would have skipped the XSi and gone for the 40D, which sports a better build and a nicer kit lens, the Pentax K20D, or perhaps the Nikon D80 or D90. My plan is to stick with the XS for a few years until Canon gives me a compelling reason to upgrade.

So anyway, what is my impression of the Rebel XS after 3 weeks and over 1000 pictures? Very good. Obviously Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver will take some time to make a more complete assessment, but here are my thoughts so far:

The good:

- Image Quality. Period. This is the Canon trademark. The basic JPEG modes are great when you don't want to bother with the creative stuff. The level of sharpness and the color rendition are perfect for my tastes, and can be easily adjusted.

- Performance at High ISO. Most of my photos so far have been taken in low light situations (it's a cold, dark January in Minnesota), and I've decided there's one thing everyone looking at dSLRs should consider carefully: image quality at high ISO speeds. Using higher ISO speeds is extremely useful when trying to get sharp pictures in low light situations (without using a flash). Simply put, in the entry level market Canon outperforms the competition. I've taken a number of pictures at ISO 1600 that look great, especially with the in-camera noise reduction turned on. At normal print sizes the quality difference compared to lower ISO speeds is very minimal.

- Ease of Use. The camera puts all the essential controls at your fingertips. Adjusting ISO, exposure compensation, metering mode, and white balance, not to mention picture styles and autofocus mode, are all quick and intuitive operations with this camera. The only thing that takes a little more time is manually tweaking the white balance, which I seem to do a lot under incandescent light. Also, after activating live view in the menu system, Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver can be turned on or off at the press of a button.

- The camera is small, light, and physically attractive. With my 50mm lens attached, the camera is remarkably compact and very lightweight. Also, having dealt with the lag of compact digitals for years, the responsiveness of this camera is especially noticeable.

- Kit lens. While the 18-55mm IS lens that ships with the camera leaves something to be desired in terms of build quality (and manual operation), the optical quality actually surprised me. I have yet to find a good reason to upgrade.

- Software. The image editing and organizing programs that come with the camera are not the most refined, but they are fairly powerful, and likely adequate for those who don't want to part with another $200 or more for an image editing program. Also, you can control the camera remotely from your computer with live view, which is cool, if not extremely useful.

A few complaints:

- Build/Grip: One of the big reasons I didn't spring for the XSi was because Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver offered no improvement in the way of build quality or ergonomics (besides the marginally better grip material). The downside of this camera's low weight is the plastic construction. Especially compared to a Pentax (which is also plastic but has a metal frame and usually weather sealing), there's a noticeable difference in the way Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver feels in your hands. There are advantages to each approach, but some will prefer a more solid (and heavy) construction. Also, some reviewers complain about the grip. I have relatively long fingers, and while I agree that Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver is a little cramped and awkward compared to its rivals, it's a secure grip and while taking pictures I've never found Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver to be uncomfortable. I have to say that while the build and grip are adequate, they do detract somewhat from the overall photographic experience. I would give more weight to these factors if I were to buy again.

- Canon makes a lot of lenses, and this was a chief selling point for me. However, with time I've realized that Canon has not committed to its APS-C (EF-S) lens system in the same way that most other manufacturers have. Its lens offerings continue to be 35mm/"full frame" -centric, leaving me feeling a bit left out. Just to be clear, you can use EF lenses on your Rebel XS, but the EF zooms have focal lengths that are not ideal for the APS-C sensor size. Looking at the overall lens lineup, there just aren't too many lenses below $1000 that get me excited. This has led me to eye other manufacturers' lens systems enviously, and I continue to contemplate switching systems. Take some time to consider your probable lens needs before committing to a system.

- The viewfinder is fairly small. When dealing with a shallow depth of field in low light and I want to get the focus just right, I often switch to live view to zoom in and focus manually (This is actually very handy). The only basis I have for comparison is my ancient Minolta film SLR that sports a much brighter viewfinder. That said, when I compared the XS and XSi, I didn't really notice the difference between the two. Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver seems that APS-C cameras generally have smaller viewfinders that 35mm/full frame cameras. However, this is an important aspect of the photographic experience, so give Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver due consideration as you compare cameras.

- Slow continuous shooting rate. If you're shooting action (sports, moving animals, etc.) in RAW you'll want to look elsewhere. The JPEG rate (3 fps) is comparable to competitors and has the advantage of being able to shoot until the card is full. In RAW, however, you'll find that the 1.5 fps (for 5 frames) is pretty slow. I don't generally shoot action so this was not an important consideration for me.

Overall: Considering the price of the Rebel XS and the overall quality of the package (image quality and feature set), I'm convinced Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver gives you the most bang for your buck of cameras below $500. This camera is capable of taking very nice photographs, and I find the control layout to be very intuitive. The only things that leave me feeling somewhat unsatisfied are (1) the relatively "cheap" or plastic feel of the camera (2) the grip, which is satisfactory but does not fit the shape of my hand like other cameras, and (3) the lens lineup. I recommend spending some time holding the camera (and others) and researching lenses to make sure the XS will meet your needs. Having said that, the image quality of this camera is excellent, and I am most satisfied by its low-light performance. Furthermore, if you think you'll upgrade in the next several years, I have a feeling Canon will be forced to compete aggressively with Nikon in the enthusiast range, so you can be confident you'll have some good options down the road.

Other options to consider:

In the entry-level market, the Olympus Evolt E420 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Lens provides an interesting and very cost-effective choice, particularly for those who value small size. To take full advantage of the minute camera, you'll want to consider getting the tiny 25mm pancake lens in addition to the standard zoom. The E-420 delivers on features too, with live view and a good dust control system. The downsides? First, there is no in-body image stabilization, unlike its bigger brother, the E-520 (also a good option). Also, lens selection is limited due to the unique sensor size. That said, the lenses are designed specifically for "four thirds" sensors as opposed to "full frame", and thus have more appropriate focal lengths. More importantly, several of the Olympus Zuiko lenses get rave reviews for their optical quality. A final downside is that the "four thirds" image quality, in particular dynamic range and high ISO, isn't quite on par with Canon or Nikon. However, I suspect that for many people Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver will be more than good enough.

For those who want a more upscale dSLR experience in the entry-level market segment, I would recommend the Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens. You get a quality build, weatherproofing, a nice viewfinder, and arguably the best built kit lens there is (complete with a nice lens hood!). Make sure you can live with the image quality if you plan on shooting JPEG and keep in mind there's no live view, but if you read owner reviews you'll find very few unhappy customers.

If you're willing to pay more than $700 and can live without more recent features like live view, the Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens is apparently an excellent camera. Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver is roughly on par the XS and XSi in terms of image quality and apparently very well put together. Personally I would have a hard time putting down that kind of money for an older camera, but keep in mind you get a nice zoom lens (without Nikon's Vibration Reduction, though). If you opt for the body only you could find a nice VR lens to go with it.

Another camera that is currently in the same price range as the D80 is the Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens. This camera could be categorized more as "semi-pro" or "enthusiast", and is best for those eager to take greater manual control of their camera. The new sensor resolves the image quality issues of the K200D and has greater resolution. Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver has live view, but the implementation is apparently pretty crude. All in all, Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver sounds like this is a very good deal at current pricing and again, you'll find very few unhappy users.

Of course, the talk of the town these days is the Nikon D90 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens, which by all accounts equals its Canon rivals on image quality and delivers a very nice feature set including HD video. For this, though, you'll need to pay a pretty penny (around $1100). And at that price, you'll want to give full consideration to the well-built Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, or its more expensive sibling, the Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens.
Great Camera, Great Pics. I love this camera. Now, I am no expert but I am a picture fanatic and these pics are beautiful. Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver is my first SLR. I've wanted one for a while. And Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver was well worth it. The only thing I wish Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver had was a wireless remote. Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver has a remote that you connect to the camera with a wire, (bought seperatly), and Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver works great. I take alot of family photos, sometimes with me in them, and the wireless would be easier. Other than that, great product, great price, great pics.
Best for DSLR beginners. Like the others (or even you), I've done a lot of researches for the best DSLR for beginners. I've considered nikon D40, nikon D60, pentax K200D, and sony A300. It's true to try the actual camera and see where you're most comfortable with helps, I went to Best Buy to do this.

So why Canon XS, 3 key things that made me decide to get this one:

First and foremost, the price. It's almost the same as the Nikon D40 (other sites offer cheaper kits for d40 but you don't get the VR lens) but more funtions, cheaper than the Nikon D60 and more functions. As compared to pentax and sony, this is definitely cheaper and more lens options.

Second consideration is the fact that there is an adapter available in the market that can be attached to this camera so that Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver will be able to use nikon lenses. Try searching for Haoda.

Third and last is the actual shooting tests. I tried this, nikon d40/d60, and sony a300 at best buy. Used auto settings for all cam and my shots came out best with the Canon XS.

What's the drawback? Sensors were removed in the XS model. Same sensors that is used for the remote shutter or for a flash to work away from the camera. No worries though, there are 3rd pary remotes that can work with the XS so you'll have remote shutter capabilities. As for the flash, you can always mount a flash that can work as the master flash (disabling the light) and have another flash as the slave flash so you have the same effect of having a flash work that is not connected on top of the camera.

I'm really happy with my choice, no regrets. Whenever I pick Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver up, Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver makes me want to shoot anything just to see how great the pictures it'll produce.

Be careful though, once you decide to buy this, spending starts for the accessories (memory, bag, cleaner, lens, etc).

As my friend would put it, 'don't think about Canon PowerShot SD970IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera Silver anymore, just buy it!' =)


Make the most of what you can do on your PC and the Web, just the way you want. Windows Live

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

 
Dear Diary Blogger Template